It was our only day off for two weeks. We planned on a trip to a local park to have an outing with the kids that included pizza and ice cream. My favorites and theirs too. What actually happened was a toothache about three in the morning that had our daughter up and crying. She is only eight, and her brother is nine. He woke up when he heard her crying and came down to the living room to see what was wrong. We have a dentist in Aurora CO, and our son suggested we give the office a call right then. I told him it was the middle of the night, and he suggested that maybe they have an answering service. I didn’t even know he ever heard about answering services.
The kid is smart, and we were able to get an appointment for when they opened up in the morning. Our son said that he was going to go back to sleep, and that the trip to the park was off. He was worried about his little sister. We got her into the office first thing in the morning. She had went back to sleep when the throbbing in her tooth let up a little. She had a popcorn hull that slipped down between the tooth and her gum, and it was causing an irritation and a place for bacteria to grow into an infection. She felt almost back to normal as soon as the dentist got the popcorn hull out.
He said that this happens all the time with people eating popcorn. Many people feel the foreign piece of material and get it out with a toothpick, floss or a toothbrush. Some people do not notice it until an irritation or infection begins. Our little girl was fine before 10 in the morning, and she asked about the pizza and the ice cream. She said that she wanted anything but popcorn, and I don’t blame her.